3.1.9 Transferred Negation否定转移
In English,transferred negation refers to a kind of grammatical phenomenon that negative particles may be transferred from one place to another.We should notice that the negative word is generally put in the main clause in English,but in translation,we,in fact,transfer the negative word in the subordinate clause in Chinese.
3.1.9.1 Some english verbs一些英语动词的翻译
If the main clauses,with negative words,are constructed by such English verbs as think,believe,fancy,reckon,feel,suppose and imagine,consider,expect,the negative words should be transferred into the subordinate clauses introduced by“that”in translating.In other words,we should translate this kind of construction according to Chinese expression.
I don't think that he can operate the new electronic computer.
我认为他不会操作这台新型电子计算机。
She did not believe that such things mattered much.
她认为这种事没多大关系。
I don't suppose that I'll trouble you again.
我想不会再麻烦你了。
I don't imagine that taxes will be reduced this year.
我认为今年不会降低税收。
I had not expected things should turn out like this.
我已经料到事情的结果不应该是这样的。
Comments In English,when some verbs,used with negative words,introduce the subordinate clauses,the negative words,in this case,negate the subordinate clauses rather than the main clauses.We should be acquainted with this kind of transferred negation in translation.
3.1.9.2“not…because…” construction
“not…because…”结构的翻译
In English,this construction is usually a hard nut to crack in translation because the negative word “not”sometimes negates the verb in the main clause,and sometimes negates the verb of the subordinate clause introduced by“because” .Therefore when we come cross this kind of construction in translation,we should study and analyze the sentence itself and the context with great care,and manage to translate faithfully.Now let us look at the following examples.
1)Negate main clauses
He cannot go to school because he is sick.
他因病不能上学。
I did not go out because it rained.
因为下雨,我没有出去。
Pure iron is not used in industry because it is too soft.
纯铁因太软而不用于工业。
2)Negative transfer
The engine did not stop because the fuel was finished.
发动机不是因为燃料用完而停止的。
She did not come because she wanted to see me.
她并非因为想见我才来。
He did not laugh because she was foolish.
他并不是因为她蠢才笑的。
He did n't buy the book because he needed it.
他并非由于需要这本书而去买的。
3)Both cases
I did n't leave home because I was afraid of my father.
因为我怕父亲,我没有离开家。
(或:我不是因为怕父亲才离开家的。)
We are n't using this example because it is ambiguous.
因为这个例子有歧义,所以我们不用。
(或:我们并不是因为这个例子有歧义才用它的。)
I did not marry her because I loved her.
我因为爱她才没有和她结婚。
(或:我不是因为爱她才和她结婚的。)
Comments It is really hard for us to cope with the“not…because…”construction in translation because the negative word“not”,sometimes,can only negate the main clause,and sometimes can only negate the subordinate clause; in some cases however it may negate either of them.Only by carefully and really understanding the original,analyzing and studying the author's intention from the context,can we render it correctly and exactly.